Saturday, October 18, 2014

Written Task 1

Written Task 1
Rough Draft
Zena Agabani
Sunday October 19th 2014

Rationale. This integrative approach of interview writing shall attempt to investigate how the musician, Kanye West, represents a certain type of ethnicity, culture and identity, particularly in the song, “New Slaves”, thus affecting his language used and intended purpose in the song.  West has always been the subject of ridicule, from low tabloids to high culture publications. He has watched his public persona become slimmer and slimmer; from the man who interrupts people on TV to the man who abuses the paparazzi. What has realized though is that there is a clear message and intended purpose that West is trying to convey to his target audience; this interview shall attempt to get an insight of what that is and display how he was influenced to create this message. I have chosen to take the integrative response of interview writing, as I believe it will present these concepts and depict the personal understanding of my chosen topic, Kanye West, in the clearest way possible. My intended purpose for my response is to show the significance and dominance of the different types of ethnicities, cultures and identities in our lives and how they can affect our use of language and actions. From this, it could be stated that the target audience of the interview is possibly fans of Kanye West that would be interested in reading one of his interviews in websites like Rolling stones or GQ.

Kanye West Talks “New Slaves”
Zena Agabani

As I flew over to New York City to interview the famous rapper, Kanye West, I did not know what to expect. It was never certain how the highly publicized star would react to certain situations, as seen before. As I walked into the lobby of New York’s Mercer hotel, the same hotel where him and Jay-Z recorded their Watch the Throne album, I could see him waiting in the lobby. “I hope we don’t get caught by any paparazzi today, I’m still being criticized for those leather jogging pants. Did you ever see anyone that wears leather jogging pants?” he said to me as I nervously tried to agree, having no actual direct experience with paparazzi themselves. 

West has recently kicked off the public’s weekend with the debut of his new song, “New Slaves” from his soon-to-release album, Yeezus. Instead of posting it on the internet, “New Slaves” was premiered out into the physical universe; setting up sites and projecting visuals in 66 world wide locations of choice. What interested me more though, was how he reached to this certain status.

Firstly, West started looking back, from childhood to the first events in his music career.  “I couldn’t have gotten to this point of success in my career without my past. My background was really a learning experience for me and it gave me the strength and inspiration to become the powerful and influential person I am today.”

As he continued to recall distinct memories, it struck me that West conveyed a certain type of background and is recognizable to be parallel with the choice of content in his music. “I was raised in Chicago’s south side by my mother and visited my father every summer. ” After bragging about his exceptional school performance and dominant role in his hometown’s rap community, it was now clear to me of the different relational and interactional identities that West carried with him throughout his life.

I then decided to ask him to particularly discuss his song, “New Slaves.” Aside from the self-admiration and congratulatory finish, West’s intended message in his music is not commonly acknowledged. “Generally, my purpose of this song was to create the modern argument that the whips and chains used in our past has just been transformed into material possessions today to keep black people in a community of modern slavery. “

With the increasing amount of language and imagery associated with the both past and present western realities, it is obvious that Kanye West is trying to convey a message in his song; “New Slaves.” West’s lyrical range from past song references, to issues regarding prison industrial complexes, clarifies the diverse cultural awareness he carried.  “I decided to reference Billy holiday’s term, “Blood on the leaves” from his song Strange Fruit to equalize the rampant custom of lynching. Lynching was an informal group execution that was performed in the south and I compared it to the impurity of the money, our modern-day leaves, used in our communities these days. I also included some other concepts like the concept of Chiraq; comparing the ethnic violence and discrimination in my home town Chicago, to the problems in Iraq.”

What also interested me in the song was the thought of type of language West used while producing the song. What made me also curious was how this type of language connected with his identity and everyday life. West was highly associated with the black community; his grandparents and father were once members of the black panthers. “I identified myself with the black community in two ways; I learnt a wide range of historical terminology from my family as they were civil rights activists and associated with the local rap community to learn how to get my feelings and perceptions across. From this, it was easy for me to draw distinctions between past and present realities ” After describing this, I truly saw the influence his community had on his use of language. The combination of the complex descriptive concepts with the African American vernacular English that West had been familiar with, created a certain type of authenticity for the artist and a form of art that the majority of his listeners could relate to.

Finally, I asked him what he wanted his listeners to achieve by listening to his expressed emotions and perceptions in the song.
_______________

Work Cited







6 comments:

  1. Overall, the rationale is detailed and good but it should state specifically in which magazine (or blog, newspaper, etc.) it i going to be on as this will affect the content and tone of your interview.

    It would've been good to have included some examples within your interview (questions and content about specific songs). And the ending is weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes my document didn't save so I lost the ending but thanks for the feedback!

      Delete
  2. This is a great interview, i think you were really successful with your choice of register and tone, as well as content. You should elaborate on your discussion of "New Slaves", it is a very powerful point. Also, you could think about including the impacts of AAVE, just to add even more to your piece. Overall, its a really great piece, very well written and great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this so much! I honestly felt like it was actually Kanye West who was saying all of that stuff. I love how you have incorporated some humor into it because Kanye West is not always a very serious rapper and so your language really suits your context. The ideas flow well are there are some really nicely constructed sentences in there! The only thing I would have to comment on would be the rationale. I would recommend talking about your intended audience and why you chose this text type a little bit more in depth. Besides that, nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rationale is detailed and straightforward, it goes straight to the point and discusses your task. Your purpose is made clear and has a clear explanation which shows your understanding to the topic you have chosen. Maybe just relate to which magazine it is.
    The interview was really well written, you have a clear and good understanding of the topic and like Farah said maybe include how AAVE affects the song and audience, or gives it a purpose.
    Really good writing though, well done!!

    ReplyDelete

  5. The first thing that I noticed when reading this article was the very well written rationale. Then, you move on to the text, and it is also well crafted, and seems more of a hybrid between an interview and a blog of some sort, rather than just an interview. I think you could still pull it off if it was a blog talking about an interview.

    You also might have to look up some talks that Kanye West gave to truly analyze his speech. The ending seems to be cut off, and the word count is less than 800, so you’ll have to work that out. All in all though, great idea and execution for a written task.

    ReplyDelete